Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Today I am starting a new project. I will continue to work on my memory project but I am starting a project that i've been meaning to work on for a while. My boyfriend's guitar got destroyed in a bad car accident a couple of years ago. He gave me the pieces incase I wanted to do something with them. I am starting a series of memorials from that event. Last semester, I worked on a peice entitled " Reliquary" dedicated to the memory of his mother, whom he lost in the accident. The finished piece is pictured below. The piece was designed to symbolize a last embrace between the three of us. There are three hinges that open up to a peircing of a gate, the inside of the box contains light that shines through the gate and on to the ceiling. The design is intended to represent life, death and light as a symbol of hope.This new project is going also going to be about hope and rebuilding. With the remaining pieces of his guitar I am going to fabricate a case with cabinets. The house that he's lived in his whole life is being knocked down and replaced by his neighbors house. The transition is going to be hard and hopefully he can use this new cabinet in his new house. I will also put lights inside the guitar cabinets and have the guitar sort of become a reliquary for the things he decides to put inside it.

No comments: